Is Surgery Right For You?
Candidates for bariatric surgery usually meet the following criteria:
- 18-65 years old (with some exceptions)
- Failed attempts with diet plans, behavioral and medical therapy
- Commitment to prolonged life-style changes and long-term follow-up care
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 and over, with at least one high-risk medical condition (comorbidity), such as high blood pressure, Type II diabetes, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, and others.
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater. Use our BMI calculator.
Bariatric Surgery is a life-changing event that helps you live a longer, healthier life. Research has shown that dramatic improvements (>90%) in additional chronic diseases or conditions are achieved through weight loss surgery. Your results may differ from others, but most patients see a change in associated conditions, including lowering their risk or completely eliminating the following:
- Blood Pressure, Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease
- Reduce strain on the joints and Osteoarthritis
- Type II Diabetes
- Sleep Apnea
- Acid Reflux (heartburn)
- Cholesterol levels
- Improve fertility