Helpful Links and Tips
- Discuss all exercises with your doctor. You will want to exercise as soon as possible, but don’t rush into against your doctor’s advice.
- Commit to making a daily exercise program part of your new lifestyle after bariatric surgery.
- Walk, Walk, Walk… During the initial recovery period. On day one of hospital discharge walk one block.
- Avoid abdominal exercises until they have been approved by your doctor – usually at least four to six weeks after surgery.
- Lift weights after your Doctor has informed you that your wounds are sufficiently healed. Gastric Bypass patients are at a greater risk for osteoporosis. Weight bearing exercise is a great way to battle bone loss.
- Enroll in a water aerobics class after your doctor has released you to be in water. Swimming really works the abdominal muscles, so delay actually doing that until you have received the go ahead from your physician.