Subacute Rehabilitation Unit
Subacute care is a big phrase for a simple idea: if you think of hospitals as offering acute care – we would be the step between that level of hospital care and simpler care which can be delivered with light nursing, day or home care. Vanguard West Suburban Medical Center’s Subacute Rehabilitation Program is uniquely poised to provide seamless transitions along the total continuum of care.
Returning to Independence
People come to us with many different conditions and one desired outcome: they want committed partners who can help them go back to a life of maximum independence. We understand this aspiration, and our professional staff embraces patient independence as the ultimate mutual goal. In order to meet this goal, we commit the following:
- We will always meet our patient’s medical, therapeutic and lifestyle needs.
- Our patient care is constantly monitored to achieve optimal outcomes and promote the highest degree of satisfaction.
- All of our services are designed to provide effective, personal care. We will not compromise when it comes to a patient’s well-being.
The Subacute Rehabilitation Patient
The following wide range of complications and medical conditions which result in functional loss and require a formal rehabilitation program may benefit from subacute care:
- Spinal cord injury
- Hip and knee replacement
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s Disease and Guillain-Barre
- Neuromuscular weakness after acute medical illness or surgery
- Brain injury
- Cardiac care
The Key to Patient Success
Our goal-oriented approach to rehabilitation provides tailor-made care for each patient, focusing on his or her abilities, goals and particular needs. Here are some of the benefits of the Subacute Rehabilitation Program:
- 24-hour nursing supervision.
- Focused therapies delivered daily by an interdisciplinary team of physical therapists, occupational therapists and speechlanguage pathologists.
- Assessment and monitoring by a physiatrist three to five times a week.
- Care coordination and discharge planning by a case manager.
- Interdisciplinary team conferences with input from patient and family.
- Family education and training.
Our end goal is a positive patient outcome. More than 91 percent of our patients return to a community setting instead of a long-term care facility. The national average is 80.4 percent. Our average functional independence measure change is 15.9, with an average length of stay at 15 days. It is our commitment to excellence and dedication to our patients that has resulted in consistently high patient satisfaction scores.
Taking the First Step
A representative is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. You can contact the Admissions Coordinator at 708-763-6382 to set up a tour. We would love to meet you face-to-face and show you what our facility has to offer.
What To Bring
For your stay with us, you will need the following:
- Comfortable shoes
- Comfortable, casual clothing
- Personal items, as needed
We offer subacute care within the walls of an acute care facility – Vanguard West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park. Our location within an acute care facility allows access to professional nursing care 24 hours a day, seven days a week and enables us to provide the finest care for individuals who require rehabilitation services due to injury or acute illness.